Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Are You Paying Attention to the Little Things?

We are all familiar with the story of the Titanic. Yes, it did hit an iceberg. Yes, quite a few people perished. However, what you may not realize is that what caused the Titanic to sink so quickly was not the large iceberg it hit; rather it was the shortcuts taken during the assembly. The rivets were of substandard quality and broke under pressure. The builder was trying to create three of the world's largest ships and was unable to get the quality that they normally require for such things. They also split their focus and were moving too quickly.

I have a great friend who is a builder. Colin Woods has created some of the nicest neighborhoods and dream homes in our area. He will tell customers the following, "You can have speed, price, and quality...pick two." You can't have the greatest quality if your job is rushed.

What are the rivets in your plan? What are the little things that you don't think make a big deal, but can. I follow the following with my business and life:
1. My assistant (Tamara) needs to not only be efficient, task worthy, and driven. She must also convey the right impression to clients and media when she is on the phone. I can't tell you how great it makes me feel when clients tell me that my assistant was so pleasant to deal with. Who is the director of first impressions for your business? They don't just answer the phone and greet people. They are the first impression of your business to anyone who meets with you.

2. I must have people in my life that hold me accountable to my outcomes. Notice that I did not say "goals". You always get an outcome. Some good, some unexpected. You don't always reach the "goal". Shelly keeps me on track with my fitness goals. Running is a priority for us, and sometimes it can be hard to keep that regimen going when we get busy or I'm on the road. Sunday was a rainy and cold day. It would have been perfect to just snuggle up on the sofa and watch movies. She had already ran 7 miles the day before but offered to ride her bike while I did my 4 miles. We had a blast! We were soaked and chilled when we came back and Branson met us at the door with dry towels; but we did it! Find people who will keep you accountable.

3. Take time to be thankful. It is real easy, especially when we are busy or stressed to forget about the gift that we all have called the present. Some of the things that I remind my self of every day to set the foundation for greatness include: health, family, friends, talents, abilities, etc. I can go on...

Download my "Shef's success diet" at www.theshef.com
For more information about booking The Shef for your next event, visit http://www.theshef.com
or call our offices at 1-800-863-2591.

No comments: