Thursday, April 9, 2009

Are You "Locked In?"


High School is a great time. You know exactly what it is that you want to do for the rest of your life. In addition to that, you know EVERYTHING! As we mature, we realize how much is that we don't know. (I was amazed at how smart my parents became within 3 weeks of Alex being born!)

I was going to be a rock star in high school. I was even voted, you guessed it, "Most Likely to Become a Rock Star". We enjoyed recording and touring, but it became very old very quickly. Who would have thought that long hair and tight pants wouldn't take you great places in the business world?!

I decided to change my path in my early 20s and pursued other things. This got me thinking: how many people are in the mindset of "I decided that I wanted to do xyz, and I don't really like it. I just have 26 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 4 days left until retirement." In today's uncertain times, people are having to discover new career pathways if their jobs are eliminated.

My recommendation is that you remain flexible. Acknowledge that times change, and continue to sharpen your skill set. I am reading a great book by John Maxwell, Put Your Dream to the Test. One of the quotes reads, "The more you are concerned with things you can't control; the less you will do to improve what you can control."

Chew on that one...


visit www.theshef.com
For more information about booking The Shef for your next event, visit http://www.theshef.com
or call our offices at 1-800-863-2591.

No comments: