Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Sorry, Things Are Looking Up

I love speaking. I love the experiences (most days), the audience reaction, the results, and the relationships that are created as a result of meeting all different kinds of people from all around the world. One of the most requested program content items lately has been pure motivation. It seems as though many people think that the light at the end of the tunnel is a train. WRONG!

This past week included seminars attended by nearly 1,000 people from all walks of life. The OVERWHELMING feedback comment I have been hearing after my programs can be summarized as follows: "I have been upbeat and optimistic. Thank you for reminding me that it is OK to be that way. So many people are down and I almost feel bad that I'm so happy." My challenge to you is that you be the thermostat in your environment and not the thermometer. By that I mean, SET the attitude, don't RESPOND to it!

Kind of interesting, isn't it? When you think about it, where does the choice of optimism start? I can't motivate someone, no one can. It is a choice. I believe that the genesis of attitude starts with the questions you ask yourself on a regular basis. We all have these voices inside of our heads telling us positive and negative things. (Hopefully they are the same voice!).

Here are a few "Success Recipe" questions that I have found lay a great foundation for a great attitude:
1. What am I thankful for today?
2. Who do I love?
3. What is one thing that I can do to make someone smile by 9 am?
4. What are my top 3 talents that I'm committed to sharpening today?
5. If my kids were to shadow me today, what would I teach them by my behavior?

Give it a try for a week or so. If it doesn't work, I'll give you your old life back, for free!

Shef
For more information about booking The Shef for your next event, visit http://www.theshef.com
or call our offices at 1-800-863-2591.

No comments: