Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time to Evict!

My son, Alex and I were enjoying a great game of football on PS2. (Actually he was kicking my butt all over the place, but any parent knows the challenges of playing a young person in a video game!) As we were playing, I heard a scratching in the ceiling. I walked around the side of the house to see that we had a family of squirrels that had decided to take up residence in my soffit! A piece of wood, a few screws, a pellet gun, and some paint; the problem was taken care of.

That left me thinking about something: How often are we letting other people rent space in our heads? Maybe it is someone who told us that we will never amount to anything, maybe it is someone that has wronged us in some way, maybe even some memory of an abuse or other thing that was totally out of our control. Why don't we kick those people out of our noggins! (Yes, I can say noggin as I just emerged from an attic wearing a headlamp and carrying a gun -cue the theme from Deliverance!)

What movie are you playing in your mind of a past event or maybe a future event? What disempowering thoughts are running around in your mind? Let's make this an opportunity to evict them. If you really feel like it, write that person a letter. Maybe you don't send it, just vent it. Life is meant to be a celebration, not a fear!

Oh, and always keep a headlamp handy!
For more information about booking The Shef for your next event, visit http://www.theshef.com
or call our offices at 1-800-863-2591.

No comments: